Author Topic: where do i begin?  (Read 4639 times)

Offline TrailrideTV

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
    • TrailrideTV
where do i begin?
« on: January 19, 2010,21,14:27 »
well i do consider myself lucky because i got to attend 4 events last year.  each event was very different that the others, and each had its own set of challenges.  most of my issues revolved around trying to travel as light as possible.

first, just because you are going to california in the summer doesn't mean you should only pack shorts and t-shirts.  it can get cold, and rainy, and cloudy, and did i mention COLD on the rubicon trail, even in the summer.  Lesson learned: pack for what's predicted, but have a couple extra pieces of clothing along as well.

Canon makes very stout video cameras.  So does Panasonic.  Plastic walmart bags work well for protecting cameras in light to medium rain, but that's about it.  Lesson learned:  don't leave your camera covered with a tarp on a tripod up on a scaffold as a storm blows in without securing the tripod with weighted bags. 

Competitors in rock crawling competitions aren't too concerned about cameramen.  Lesson learned:  if you're on the course at a WEROCK event, watch your ass.  And then hire someone else to watch it for you, too.

I attended events that had hundreds of participants, and ones with only a few.  Lesson learned:  its not important how many people show up or how much money you raise or how many wounded vets are in attendance...just make sure that any wounded vets in attendance have a good time, and you will have success.

I was confident that the honored guests would have a great time, but I was amazed at events that invited wounded soldiers and their families, and how much it meant to the kids.  Lesson learned:  there's always something at every event that will amaze and astound you, and makes you feel incredibly proud to be associated with WFTW.

to be continued...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010,21,17:05 by TrailrideTV »

Offline Lysmachia

• General
  • Lieutenant
  • Chuck Norisette
    • Colorado Territory Offroad Association
Re: where do i begin?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010,13,05:55 »
Hey Andy,

Great post.  Colorado is set to host an event again this year.  I was surprised to stills ee this forum up. I thought it was going away.  Hmmm, I need ot talk to jeepinjp about that!
Molly
aka Lysmachia
93 4 Runner SAS - All Fixed in THREE Tone Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here

Offline offroader613

• Sponsor
  • Sergeant
    • JK'ed Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010,02,55:25 »
I learned that a second computer monitor works great when sorting through tons of event pictures. Almost covered both screens before I started organizing the first waves.
JK'ed Photography

www.offroader613.synthasite.com

Thanks to all of those who served.

hiney

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010,17,10:20 »
Kevin and I learned that these events are not only fun, but they can be theraputic for some of our Honored Guests.

Offline jeepinjp

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010,15,32:59 »
absolutely
911 NEVER FORGET
Semper Fidelis
JP
`74 CJ5 4" spings SOA 38" Swampers T-18
lock-rite front, lincoln rear
"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING".--Edmund Burke (1729-97)  NJ Trails Council---Motorized Rep., NOHVCC NJ Partner, NJOHVA NJOHVA VP/ Director of Govt. & Legislative Affairs/Advocacy,  NJJC, AMA, ATVA ,BRC- Board of Directors, XTREME HABITAT, Tread Lightly Master Trainer, ARRA, ATV Safety Institute Liscenced Trainer