Author Topic: Attractions  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Jason WFTW

• Founder/President
  • Supreme Commander
  • Colonel
    • http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org
Attractions
« on: March 02, 2008,08,55:31 »
While I'll be going to an event every weekend for the 6 month length of the program, I'll have Mondays through Fridays free to do some sightseeing.

What are some of the attractions in your State?  What would you suggest a tourist check out?
I'm not easily distracted.  I...oh look, ROCKS!

brujo de la colonia

Re: Attractions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008,06,02:46 »
Definitely the lower Colorado River if you like fishing at all.  It's a whole different river from the upper Colorado in the Canyon.

Casa Grande ruins.

Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona

Grand Canyon (kinda obvious)

The sand dunes west of Yuma.  Looks just like the Sahara.  Many/most movies supposedly filmed in Sahara were actually filmed there.  Lots of great dune riding areas.

The White Mountains

The Mogollon Rim and the Crook Trail connecting Camp Verde and Fort Apache

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Saguaro National Monument

Mt. Graham / Coronado National Forest

Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument

The Navajo Nation

The Hopi Nation

Kaibab National Forest

Petrified Forest National Park

Sonoran Desert National Monument

Camino Del Diablo (The Devil's highway) 4x4 trail running from Yuma to Ajo; a trail that'll take you 2-3 days to finish, if you are pushing it. No water, no services, no cell phone signal, no reaching anyone on a CB (other than fellow fool travelers),  no rescue, you are on your own. Runs through the Barry M Goldwater bombing range. West half of range is operated by MCAS Yuma, east half of range is operated by Luke AFB.  You need to get a pass and sign a "hold harmless" agreement from both places before you can ride the trail. Your vehicle needs to have a pass, as well as the driver and also everyone else in the vehicle also needs to sigh the two "hold harmless" agreements. Trail passes through Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge as well, home of the endangered Sonoran Pronghorn Antelope as well as the even rarer Jaguar.  NOT a handicap friendly place, not friendly to anyone, but an awesome experience.  Where else in the USA can you go on a 2-3 day off-road safari, one way, without backtracking, and see nothing but wilderness? THIS IS SOMETHING EVERY RABID 4-WHEELER MUST DO AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR LIVES.  Test your vehicle and your survival skills.  Just don't attempt it during summer, that's really asking for trouble/death.

Monument Valley

Kartchner Caverns State Park
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008,21,01:59 by brujo de la colonia »

Offline Jason WFTW

• Founder/President
  • Supreme Commander
  • Colonel
    • http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org
Re: Attractions
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008,21,04:42 »
That's quite the list!  Thanks for listing all those places.  As it gets closer to the start of the program I will sift through all the recommendations and pick out some nice spots to go during the week (since the events are on the weekends).
I'm not easily distracted.  I...oh look, ROCKS!